Sunday, May 24, 2015

It's the freakin weekend!


Friday was a great day. 

Some coworkers and I painted and decorated some apartments for new residents as part of an amazing community outreach program called NSO, and then held a welcome party for them.  Part of NSO's program involves providing homeless citizens with apartments as they try to reenter the workforce and normalize their lives.

We pooled some money together to buy home furnishings, and used the slowest freight elevator ever to cart everything up.  This included couches, microwaves, blinds, shower curtains, bed dressings, dressers. Sounds expensive, but we found a few couches at a resale store, and an electronics store manager hooked us up with great deals on microwaves and televisions. Sinks, stoves, fridges beds, and showers were already provided.  

And then yesterday, we held a welcome party in the gym for the new residents. There was a raffle for our PWAT paintings (I guess when you're just starting to decorate, you'll take anything lol). Our culinary department chipped in big time with a truckload of delicious southern foods. Even the mac & cheese was good. And I'm picky abouts my mac.

This sounds like a lot of work, but there were 7 of us to handle things. It was all done within a week, And I got to eat chicken wings and cornbread and collard greens and sit & chat with some of the funniest, nicest, most appreciative people I've met in a long time. The only problem was that we expected them to take the rest of the food to their rooms to save for later. Unfortunately, their seconds and third servings of the heavy food left them lethargic, and I think they just wanted to pass out on their new beds.  So we were left with half a truckload of food that had to be tossed.



Check out the guy on the scooter. He's a speed demon!


In other news, ITS BOY BAND WEEKEND, BITCH!  That's right! A full 3 days of the best boy band jams ever. I already lost my voice and messed up my ponytail jamming to Larger than Life on the way to work yesterday.

Aww, yeah!! You know you love it!!

I rented a cute old school bike with a basket today...was too lazy to haul mine around...and rode the shoreline to the Electronic Music Festival (sweet website). My head still hurts.








No comments:

Post a Comment