Wednesday, May 20, 2015

On Serration & Kegare


This one's for you, Phoebs.

Rereading this, it's completely narcissistic. I'll leave it for now, and hope my next post doesn't come off so whiny.

----------------


Technically, I was supposed to move back to Japan after college, get married, have children. I've been stalling for time ever since. I could always thwart my mother's half-hearted attempts to remind me of my familial responsibility. A new career opportunity, some community commitment, our property here needs attention, new friends. Whatever works for a few months. 

My brother has sighted a chink in my armor. The threat of discarding my Otosan's old things that I would most cherish. It's the best way to turn me into a giant sobbing mess. 
spider monkey.
For every stall I give him, he throws away something that belonged to my Otosan. Yeah, in that order. Not an exaggeration. He plainly states that he will, and then he follows through. A phone call to my mother from work the next morning always confirms it.

I don't find long term value in jewelry or property or karu or 401k plans. The most valuable assets for me are seemingly insignificant possessions. 

Like the fishing rods my Otosan used to teach me to catch hamachi along with an early lesson in humility and perseverance: If we didn't catch anything that day, we wouldn't eat. 

Or the rusty used canoe I helped Otosan seal when I was 8, now neatly stored in my mother's shako. 

Decidedly irrelevant possessions like these are rare and priceless because...

Sigh. I believe that each item holds within it a small piece of a person's spirit.  If I fish using my Father's tackle, his spirit will sing to me. I won't just be fishing; I'll be spending an afternoon with my Father.

It's why I barely go into that room.

And that's the best way I can explain that.

And a chance casual conversation with my brother (also my HOH) about spring cleaning showed him how important those things are to me, and gave him the opportunity to use them like a jagged knife.

He is so much like my mother - clever and singularly focused. My diversion trick doesn't work on him. He won't be distracted from a point. Who knew the skinny boy sobbing on my parents' bed with fresh welts on his back would grow up to become so power hungry?  

That reads exactly like the back story for every villain in every superhero movie. Ever.

But also, I'm faced with my own kegare. With every stall, I'm plainly stating that I value my freedom more than I value my Father. And my brother gets to twist the knife just a little to the left. 




No comments:

Post a Comment