Thursday, October 31, 2013

LifeBUILDERS



I felt bare without my phone today.
 
Tonight I gave a lecture to at-risk teen girls on entering the workforce. Each girl has been through some sort of social trauma. Actually, I guess "social" might be trivializing their experiences.  Mostly gang or family-related. A few had their infants with them. And they were SUPER young.  Some were staying at the center temporarily. We continued to talk long after my hour was up (to the dismay of the staff members, who were anxious to go home, having been there all day).

Not sure if I can post most of the photos sent over because some of the girls are using the center as a sort of safe harbor. 
 
The Q&A portion is always the fun part.  I can talk all day with Ppt slides and purty images, but only during the Q&A will you learn exactly what the attendees are interested in. And they always ask really great questions.

This particular group of young ladies was mostly interested in what to wear to job interviews.

Clothes? The topic is clothes?  Sweet.

I pulled up some old "do's/don'ts" wardrobe slides and we pretended we were the employer, and discussed what we would think of a person who showed up to an interview in each manner.

I'm working with the director on a field trip to Macy's by Appointment.  Guys will have no idea what that means, but my female visitors will know that MBA is a complimentary service that Macy's offers. The personal shopper will help you pick out several outfits to try on based on your style and body type.

I have a couple of calls in to some transportation companies for shuttle bus prices.  I'm talking with a few empowerment foundations on helping me fund the wardrobes. We could also eat something while we're there.
Pardon the typo's and soigné.

Of course, all this planning (and one venti Starbuck's white mocha) sent my brain into spreadsheet mode, and I lost my mind in the details.  I think "soup kitchen" wins.
 
A deep bow in appreciation to Larry and his incredible team of staff and volunteers for welcoming me with open arms and graciously making me feel like part of the family.

Previous .

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment