Sunday, July 20, 2014

On Promises


I made a promise to a friend last year. She had just given birth, and was struggling with cancer. I promised to watch after her daughter, and to help fight for a cure.

I've secretly been honoring the former promise, and, really minimally, the latter promise. But not committedly. Now I'm starting to get that nagging sense of responsibility, the way you do when you put off paying a bill. 

Instead of just donating money, I feel the need to get out and do something. To put everything I have into it. To make up for neglecting it before. 

Cut to this week, I'm prepping for the 2014 Against the Tide event, held in Massachusetts (her home town). It's a competitive 1 mile swim, and I have the opportunity to raise money from family and friends.

We'll see how it goes. I may wuss out. I'm not a great swimmer, but I could certainly use the workout regimen. I've been using the pool at the Y on Tuesdays & Thursday mornings. I thought swimming before work would give me energy, but it leaves me sorta tired.

ALVH is on. I now realize it needed a more sweet-ass title for people to take it seriously. To get past the whole, "OMG, what have they done to my favorite American history lesson??" To consider it a formidable opponent in the horror/fantasy movement.  It's so good.  Even now, I'm smiling at the plot's seamless transitions between gothic lore and true stuff.  So clever.

I'm in Toronto next week. I can't say "Toronto" unless I, in my mind, add the "t-o-r-o-n-t-o-TORONTOO!" the way Marc did.

I want a walk on role as a walker on TWD, dammit. I must've submitted my audition to AMC 20 times now.  My girlfriend and I are hooking up for "The Bachelor" auditions.  Long story.  Hey, neither of us are exactly "Bachelor-bait" (i.e., giant blondes with pedigrees)...  But we can laugh about sitting in a room with 300 other women one day.

Lots of other, more heavy things happening right now. Just not ready to be this open with them yet.

I am definitely headed to Japan permanently. My job's not very fun atm. That's the lighter of the heavy stuff. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment