Tuesday, September 2, 2014

carpe THIS diem.



The city is alive with all sorts of fun this weekend. So much that it's impossible to cram it all in.

* State Fair
* Arts, Beats & Eats Festival
* Taste Fest
* Renaissance Fair
* Jazz Festival

It's madness!

Got a jump on the weekend festivities and checked out the State Fair Friday after work.  Did the beach, the Taste Fest and Jazz Fest on Saturday.  Sunday night, I went to a cool terrace BBQ in the city. BBQ, wine, DJ, dance floor, amazing view of the city.

Actually, I think that was my favorite part of the weekend.

Attended this year's ROSE Awards last week. ROSE Awards is the Detroit Metro Convention/Visitors Bureau's hospitality awards. It basically honors workers in Detroit who demonstrate excellent customer service.  We had a couple of finalists, so I kind of had to go.  Turned out to be bad ass.
 
Today, I mostly drove along the shoreline in the rain with the windows down and sang N'Sync songs. Then I killed a few zombies. Now watching Man of Steel.

So, this happened. Aww yeah.
Our weather forecasts have been off the mark lately. It was supposed to rain all day on Saturday. Yet I got sunburn from the glaring sun. It was supposed to be sunny on Sunday, but it rained.
 
Not sure how I feel about this Superman. The son of Jor'el is one of the few superheroes born with his powers. Spiderman, Batman, Green Lantern, Iron Man, Bionic Man...pretty much every Marvel character, every superhero except for Superman and the XMen.  And Blade. But only half superpowers for Blade. And the Mortal Kombat characters, I guess. But they're not from comics, so they don't count.
 
I feel like there's a big lesson coming at the end. I'm gonna guess global warming. Seems like every scifi flick these days has a not-so-underlying message about ecology or religion or loving each other. Don't even get me started on The Matrix trilogy's blatant religious message.  Ugh. Stupid Matrix.

This Superman version is darker and maybe too serious. Also, Christopher Reeve was strong but quirky. This Superman is just kind of doe-eyed and surprised all the time.
 
Speaking of doe eyes, why is Lois Lane not a brunette this time? I swear, if I see a close up of Amy Adam's stupid giant blue eyes in one more movie, one more time...
 
And Zod. Best comic book villain ever created. When I was 8 or 9, I couldn't watch Superman because it was PG, so I pretended to do my homework while my brother watched it. Because of Zod.
 
 
 
In the 1980 movie version, Zod was all about wreaking havoc on poor defenseless humans.  He was large and in charge. And if General Zod told you to do something, you did NOT play around. You effing did it. He wore this awesome patent leather suit with these thigh high boots.  I just knew he owned a flogger.  No, I didn't actually know what a flogger was when I was 8.  Shut up.  I'm just saying that I knew he was different in a freaky grown up way.
 
The new Zod thinks too much. He's all angsty. He wants to rebuild Krypton with only the finest of his race. How Hitleresque.

Man, they are really tearing up the city. I always wonder who's going to pay for all the property damage after a superhero vs villain street fight.
 
Love & Hip Hop Atlanta Reunion Pt 2 comes on in a few mins. I think Benzino and Stevie get into a fight on stage because Joseline slept with both of them. Also, Mimi confronts whats his face because he leaked their sex tape. ZOMG.






No comments:

Post a Comment