Monday, January 13, 2014

I'll take "Sh!t Men don't Care About" for 100, Alex.



 

So shellac is a new-ish nail polish method that basically singes the coats of specially-formulated color onto your nails. Shellac is great because the color never comes off. The nail tech has to soak each nail in hot acetone for a few minutes, and then scrape it off with that painful metal scalpel thing. It hurts SO much, but it's worth not having to watch your polish chip for weeks at a time.
http://www.komonews.com/news/consumer/
122994693.html?tab=video&c=y

The problem with shellac is that it doesn't do much to protect the nail. Mine always breaks in the same area - where the skin meets the tip - about a week in.
 
Anyway, I switched back to gel. Which is basically an acrylic layer (at least, it looks and smells like acrylic?), followed by a clear coat of something, then they stick your hands under this UV (?) light for a few minutes, and your fingertips feel like they're burning off, then presto! No need for polish.  If you have even a little bit of fingernails like I do, you won't need the falsies. The tech will just lay the acrylic/gel/whatever it is right over the nail beddo.
Typical gel nails

The problems with gel nails are that (1) they can look really bad/fake if the nail tech lays it on too thick (watch your tech closely as he/she starts on the first nail, in case "I want a very thin coat" doesn't translate), and (2), your fingertips will burn for the first night. It feels like I held them over a fire for a second too long. It doesn't diminish as the night goes on, or get worse as I'm typing.  My nails don't feel sore to the touch. The insides of the tips literally feel on fire.  And this won't go away until morning.

The stuff we do for beauty, dammit.

My brother may finally be moving to Sydney with his family, so I now have an excuse to visit.  I have a friend in Brisbane (reads like "bris-BAYNE", but Aussies pronounce it "BRIHS-bun"...why? Because, although they so desperately want to be Amurrkan, they'll never get the enunciations right...unless they're an actor on The Walking Dead...then it's spot-on.) and Geelong (again, it looks like "GEEE[zus]-long", but the crazy Aussies say "jlong". They're crazy!). It'd be great to see you guys.
 
It also means I may be moving back to Toshima (or, kill me now, Koriyama).  And relearn kanji. Sigh to that. It's a family obligation thing, so I'm opting to not post my opinion on the matter.
 
I just joined the YMCA near my workplace. It's like it's own little city. Child care services, a giant indoor court, an indoor pool (a rarity!), a juice bar and rock climbing? Crikey. I'm just looking to get rid of my gut. 

Parking's ridiculous, so I go with my boss and/or coworkers.
 
I asked a guy at Lowe's today to directly me to the "50 shades of gray" aisle. I thought it was funny.  I even snort-laughed at my own joke. But he turned red and I felt kinda bad.  But he did direct me to the drill bits!

I dropped my work i.d. at a CVS Pharmacy one day last week. I called to check on it and the employee said that someone from my workplace found it and that was going to bring it to me the next day.  Well, I haven't seen it, but where I work, you can be fired if you don't report your id stolen.  Its a whole state regulations thing. So I gotta face the music and get a new one.

Random FaceTime mayhem.
 

Housework's done. Bills done, sorta. Let's shoot some zombies! Don't forget, I'm on kik @Mia-LiA (which is way more reliable than google).



Goofy vine for the win.

 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment