Saturday, January 18, 2014

More Drama than Trauma



Black ice + crazy drivers = AccidentFest

Took three hours longer to get almost home than normal after work last night.  I'll go back to the "almost" in a moment.  With the whole span of I96 closed, rush hour has become a fiasco. Couple the fact that everyone is cramming into the remaining eastbound/westbound expressways with the recent snow and ice extravaganza, and arriving anywhere on time...let alone in one piece...is completely a matter of chance.
 
I've been really fortunate. I've never had snow tires, so the simple act of stopping at a red light and starting again turns my car into a carnival ride.
 
What's the name of that one old skool circular roller coaster one that goes on the continuous loop?
 
Okay, I just spent 25 minutes looking for the ride. The closest I found was this one. It was sort of like this one, but it was two to a car, and the back part was inside a tunnel. And it didn't look this nice. It was rickety and the safety was questionable. And there were wall speakers at the entrance to the tunnel part that almost hit your head.




Dangit. What was the name of the ride?? Ice-something. Snow-something. OMG.
 
Well, that analogy's ruined. Anyway, its bad out. I'm a careful driver, but I still slid into a bank or two.
 
Back to the "almost" part.  I got sideswiped by a guy who ran a red light.  It wasn't the snow. He was going too fast the way people do in perfect weather, and assumed everyone else was as awesome a driver as he is, and could stop mid-intersection and politely wait for him to speed through. He assumed everyone has snow tires. I don't. So I can't do the polite stop and yell. I was at about 5 mph. He hit me at about 32mph. He knocked my car onto the corner/curb of a gas station. He got out and ran off. That's happening a lot more these days. Same thing happened to my coworker.
 
Anyway, I took pictures, caught a cold, got a few indecent offers from drivers, gave the police my information, went home, took a bath. Today, I found out that the driver was drunk and had a small amount of meth in the car.  I felt bad that the accident made an unbearable drive home even worse for most of the drivers.  I wonder if it would've been better to move my car, since I already had pictures.
 
I'm not injured. The car has a small ding. No big deal. All drama. No trauma.
 
I nabbed a ticket to the NAIAS Charity Preview tonight. It was fantastic. I had planned to take my grandmother to this one. We use watch the live show. We drooled over the beautiful gowns and watched the rich people drink champagne. I wanted to splurge on the tickets just to see her be one of those people for a change.

Wore my sister's birthday gift, but the boots weren't far away!



Last year's post: NAI-YES!
 
Sooo ...earlier today at lunch.  What kind of chicken IS this?? I don't even know what PART of the chicken this is. The lunch room sign said "grilled chicken". The other side LOOKS like a small thigh. I think it's a pigeon. I'm so confused!!

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment