Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Nightmare on Roslyn Street


 
So I took out the old medicine cabinet in the downstairs bathroom (the one I've been remodeling for 300 years now), and can I just say that "DIY projects" do NOT go as smoothly as they do in YouTube videos???
 
Okay, so the cabinet had 30 years of paint coating it, so I exacto'd it out. After I realized there were actual screws holding it into place. Then I found a giant pile of rusty razors behind the cabinet. Then I remembered that my father use to dump his old razors back there. I can't remember why.
 
And THEN the drywall I measured was maybe 1/8" short of the left mark, which wasn't my fault! My father had built a space into the original wall to hold the old medicine cabinet, so the stud/anchor/wood thingy was in the way. I didn't want to move it, so I added skinny wood blocks to the original wood to make a drywall anchor.
 
Then I mixed the putty stuff to fill in the gap on the left, then added the mesh tape over it. But when I started going over the entire thing, the stuff got too hard to handle.  So I went back into the kitchen to add more water, which just the crumbly rocks slipperier. Sigh!
 
Then I tossed that batch and mixed a new one, which got too hard to use with the spatula thingy, so I smeared some on with my damn fingers.
 
But the stuff became too hard for even that, so I cursed at the box and dumped it all in the trash.  I'll try again tomorrow with the premixed stuff.
 
I used this tutorial for drywall repair:
 
 
 
Once I'm done, I'm putting up this mirror. Which is a story in itself. Like the sink, it was advertised but no longer available, I harassed Lowe's into helping me find it, they found it at a Lowe's about 25 miles away, I paid for it over the phone (last one, so it was on sale for $9..woot!), then drove the 25 miles to pick up the mirror, my engine light was on the whole way home, but hasn't come on since...
 
OMG.
 


 
 
SL is bleh. And my friends list is all weird. Zombies! Any takers?
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment