Friday, February 14, 2014

et tu, Kmart?


VDay ridiculousness at Kmart, even.

Home of the blue light special.

Really?

Valentines Day, my dear people, is a cheesy fiasco of useless expenditures somehow morphed by the media and candy companies and jewelers and engravers with "love lasts forever" imprints in various cursive fonts into a misrepresentation of the value of love and passion.  

Well, here's a clue, folks. Love does not last forever.
It's a fake holiday. Stupid people use it to validate their fake love as real love.

Second Life partners use it. And cheating husbands. Basketball players. Canadians. Narcissists. Lonely housewives who watch too much daytime TV. 

Here's another clue. Real love is painful and sweet and naive and haughty and unconditional and warm and soul-piercing and uncomfortable and pure and heavy. It doesn't need a birthday. It's all-encompassing. And weighty enough to deserve respect and celebration every day.

I will personally continue my crusade against Vday politics.

I will knock over every box of chocolates from every desk I pass (after I've eaten all the good ones). And I will walk around with chocolate smeared all over my face and my suit jacket and swear that I don't know what happened to it.

I will personally set fire to every vase of roses that arrives through our security office, which is just next to my office.

Oh, I'll do it.

Of course, the dimensions of my crusade may skew a bit depending on the amount of good pieces of chocolate (not the gross ones) I discover along the way.



#bittermuch?




No comments:

Post a Comment